Sunday, October 31, 2010

Things I've Learned From Surgery, Part 1

In honor of Shannon's first part of the 3 part brain surgery, I decided I would write a blog about what I've learned during this process.

First, and foremost, MEN are TERRIBLE patients.  For as long as Shannon and I have been together, I've always been the lucky one to go under the knife.  First, it was my gall bladder, then the tonsils, then a baby.  All three times I had complications.  All I've ever heard about me post-surgery is what a baby I am, how I can't handle anything, blah, blah, blah.  Well, let me tell you- I don't think I'll ever hear those words again.  I think, maybe, just maybe, Shannon might change his tune when this is all said and done.  Surgery sucks, anyway you look at it.

I've learned that people I don't even know are prepared to be prayer warriors for you.  This month, Shannon had over 24,000 hits on his website.  I'm assuming most of those folks were people who were checking up on his progress.  If you didn't know it, Shannon's page runs a live feed from his Twitter account.  During surgery, I am posting progress that way.  So, if you want up to the minute details of how he is doing, check www.shannonbunch.com  Anyhow, we have people praying for Shannon and our family from all over the place.  I can't even begin to fathom how many prayer lists we are on at churches.  That's powerful stuff and we are so thankful for it.

I've learned that just because a hospital doesn't have a well-known name, doesn't mean that it's not a good place.  Shannon's surgeries are taking place at Norton Hospital Brownsboro in Louisville, KY.  I can't even begin to tell you how awesome of a place it is.  It's sparkling new and every employee that I came in contact with was over the top kind.  When Emme had Craniofacial Reconstruction (June 09) it was at Vanderbilt Children's.  Yes, it is home to the top Dr.'s and I couldn't have been more pleased with the results, and no I wouldn't have done it any other way,  but, the hospitality just wasn't there.  If it weren't for a friend who had a daughter at Vandy who was going through Chemo treatments and knew the ropes, I think we would have been buried in Vandy land.

I've learned that it is not smart to put a post-surgery patient in the car after surgery and drive 3 hours home.  We will not be doing that again.  Shannon made it until we were about 7 miles from home and then, he lost it- his lunch I mean.  That's just not fair.  Luckily the second surgery requires and overnight stay.  Sadly, the third surgery does not.  If they can't find a reason to keep him overnight on the third surgery, we will be staying in a hotel.  Either way, he needs the time to sleep off the anesthesia and I need time to rest too.  Thank goodness for the great family we have lined up to keep Emme.  What a blessing.

Well, those are my notes for tonight.  I'm sure, I'll have more later this week.  Please continue to keep us in your prayers and also remember to keep his surgery team in your prayers as well.  Thanks for reading and keeping up with The Bunches. 


No comments:

Post a Comment