Monday, May 31, 2010

Hanging On

I received the hairbrush below in my stocking for Christmas when I was in the 7th grade:

I know it seems weird, but I still use it to this day.  When I was in the 7th grade, there were 5 females in my home, and we all had to get ready in the mornings.  Finding a hairbrush wasn't always the easiest of tasks.  For Christmas, my Mom got all of us a hairbrush for our stockings I'm assuming to cut down on the warfare that went on every morning when we all wanted the only hairbrush left in the bathroom.  Let me say though, there were probably 30 hairbrushes in the house, but only 1 was in the bathroom when we all went looking.  If nobody else understands that, I do know that at least my Sister's will appreciate it. 

If you know me at all, you know that I have severe OCD tendencies.  I fold my paper the same way every morning after I pull the crossword out, I use the same pencil to take my roll, my keys all face the same direction on my keyring- simply said, it's over the top.  But, it's me and it's what makes me go. 

So why, why in the world am I hanging on to a hairbrush that I got in the 7th grade?  I honestly can't say.  The bristles are old and worn out, the handle won't go all the way on, it's bent.  I.just.don't.know.  I mean, it's a hairbrush, easily replaced at Wal-Mart for less that 5 bucks, but I can't let it go.  I suppose when you find something you like, you keep it, work with it, figure out how to get through the scratches and dents, and love it until the end.  So, for now, I'll get up in the morning, brush my hair with my 20 year old hairbrush, and smile- because it works, and nobody can fight me for it!

2 comments:

  1. Melissa, I still have the blue hair PICK I got in 8th grade when I also got my SPIRAL PERM. I think we are destined to be FF!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still have the same alarm clock I bought for $4.25 @ Wal-Mart my senior year of high school...

    ReplyDelete